A few years ago, I was playing volleyball and returned a hit that shouldn’t have caused any trouble. But for some reason, I felt a tiny ache in my wrist. I thought nothing of it and kept playing. By the end of the match, I realized I had probably bruised it.
By the time I got home, I knew something was wrong.
A few days later and in constant pain, I finally called my doctor. He sent me for X-rays. Nothing was visibly wrong. I iced it, I used that hand sparingly, but it didn’t get better. The following week my doctor sent me for an MRI. The results? Edema inside the bone. I followed up with my doctor and he sent me off for a wrist brace saying to wear it 24 hours a day for a month. If the pain didn’t improve, he wanted to send me to a hand specialist.
The pain didn’t subside. As a matter of fact I spent three months in that flippin’ brace, unable to comfortably rotate my hand 360 degrees during any of that time. This is not useful when you are a full-time legal assistant by day and full-time student at night.
My brother-in-law (Mr. Natural Lifestyle himself) and his family came to visit one weekend and bought me something he swore would help. What was it?
Yep. Plain old ginger. He left with instructions on how to use it and said that if swelling was indeed the problem, the ginger would cure it. At that point in my life, natural remedies were not my first instinct. But ginger. changed. everything. From that experience on, I’ve used nature to solve every ailment possible!
To relieve swelling:
- Slice ginger into 1/8″ – 1/4″ rounds
- Place the rounds on and around the affected area.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and leave it for an hour.
- Expect a mild burning sensation; it won’t last the entire time.
Why it works:
- Ginger is a natural anticoagulant, meaning it prevents clotting.
- The swelling inside my bone meant that blood was flowing more like sand than liquid.
- The absorption of ginger thinned my blood back out to let it flow freely again which reduced (and eventually healed) the swelling.
I’ve been fortunate to not need the ginger again, but I’ve recommended it countless times to friends and you know what? The results never caused any complaints. Nature wins again.